The ingrown toenail is well known in medical terminology as onychocryptosis and are a very often problem that can begin when one of the nails gets embedded into the toe skin and in case you do not take good care of it, it can become a very big problem. The one big symptom of it is pain and redness in that affected are, although it can come with inflammation, pus and some other complications if it gets infected.
THE CAUSE FOR HAVING INGROWN TOENAIL
They are in relation to the continuous use of inappropriate shoes that are very often made of rigid materials that are preventing the foot from breathing, and it is very often forgotten that the toenail fungus can be as well part of the issue. The nail fungus appears when the fungus goes into the nail through a trauma as for example a cut or a break, while many people think that hygiene is a cause it is not true at all.
In case you are wanting to be safe from infection, it is crucial to treat ingrown toenails as soon as they happen and some mild cases might require minimal treatment at home with home remedies, some serious cases may need surgical intervention and luckily there are some ways that are natural in order to ge rid of an ingrown toenail on your own without needing to go to the doctor, so here we will tell you about six natural treatments for the ingrown toenails.
- Washing or soaking your foot
This can be of great benefit to keep your toe clean if you are soaking the foot in a warm and soapy water, and this shall be done three times a day, and you also include some Epsom salt so to make the skin of the affected area soft, and that is how you will draw out the toenail.
- Washing it with some castile soap
In case you do not have time for soaking, try to wash the foot and offending the nail twice a day with some soap and water, and you can also use Castile soap to its natural and pure ingredients and make sure to keep the foot clean and dry.
- Soak it in some apple cider vinegar
This one is very old folk remedy used for almost everything lately which includes ingrown toenails. In itself it contains anti inflammatory, antiseptic and pain relieving abilities although scientific evidence is limited. In case you want to try this remedy, prepare a basin of warm water combined with one quarter cup of apple cider vinegar and soak the affected foot for up to twenty minutes a day, and then at last dry your foot after the soaking.
- Pack the area with dental floss or cotton
This is something that not every medical group agrees and that it tucking small bits of cotton or waxed floss under the edge of an ingrown toenail so to help proper nail growth. Putting cotton under your nails can boost the pain and allow some harmful bacteria to thrive and soaking the cotton or floss in alcohol before the application of this may minimize this risk.
- No high heels or tight shoes
Even though many of the females like high heels, those who have a problem with ingrown toenail shall stay away from them. Tight shoes or high heels can increase the pressure to the affected area so sandals are quite a good idea.
- Essential oils
These can lower the pain and also the inflammation that is associated with an ingrown toenail and you may create an own essential oil blend if you combine Cyprus, clove, tea tree oil, lavender and rosemary with some carrier oil as for example coconut oil, blend all of these well and then gently massage on the affected area. Doing this can help in avoiding synthetic medications by providing natural pain relief for the ingrown nail and also will give the area a healthier environment with it to heal.
How should you cut an ingrown toenail
This might be very difficult and that is why you will need to be very careful and sometimes it might require some help. We are telling you the step by step guide:
- What is first, is to soak the feet in some warm water which is mixed with Epsom salt or Castile soap for around twenty minutes so to soften the toenail and the skin and also lower the swelling.
- Following step, with clean fingers push back the swollen skin in a careful manner from the nail border. But do not force it back more than the swollen skin allows.
- What you need to do now is to cut the nail straight across and start with the edges of the toenail, while cutting the nail from the sides not from its middle.
- Put some cotton between the toenail and the skin, which can stop the ingrown toenail from coming back which will allow it to grow correctly.
- If you want to help the healing process and also to stop future in-growing you shall avoid wearing socks and also shoes when you are at home, so wear some flip flops or some other shoes that avoid dirt but that the air can circulate.
- In order to avoid infection, change the cotton daily two times a day.
Homemade ingrown toenail ointment
If you put this directly on your toe you may find some very needed relief and faster healing.
- 5 drops eucalyptus oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- 1 drop oregano oil
- 5 drops lavender oil
- 2 drops peppermint oil
- 2 ounces aloe vera gel
- 2 ounces coconut oil
You should take a jar with a lid and put the ingredients inside and take a small spoon to mix the ingredients. After washing the toe apply the remedy to it and if you can let it dry naturally. If you can not, use bandages.